What is Cybersecurity?
Cybercriminals and cyber-crime are one of the major threats that are faced by almost every country in the world today. Countries and their respective institutions man up to implement some concrete countermeasures to address these threats and make sure that they are secured using some top-notch security measures for their countries and their networks.
In the world of today, it is very crucial to secure their cyberspace with the state of the art cybersecurity measures. To get this done, administrations hire individuals who conduct a thorough and rigorous penetration testing and looking out for vulnerabilities and identifying them to make sure that they can get secured before an incident occurs. Here are a few facts that you might not be knowing about Cyber Security:
- By 2021, the damage caused by Cyber-crime can reach an estimated cost of more than $5 trillion per year. This has become a point of concern amidst the cybersecurity community. The estimated damage was more than $2.5 trillion a year ago. This shift represents a transfer of wealth and economy throughout history.
- Total expenditure that is incurred on enforcing cybersecurity measures is estimated to boost up to a trillion dollars from 2017-2021. According to sources, the ever-rising need of information security required a budget of more than $80 billion in 2017. And this doesn’t include the budget for the Internet of Things, the Industrial-grade IoT, ICS, and other aspects of cybersecurity.
- Also, the total spending reserved for Cybersecurity products and services are estimated to increase to more than a trillion dollars over the next four years.
- Cybersecurity jobs will triple up which is predicted to reach to more than 3 million by the year 2021. This means that every IT personnel would act as Cybersecurity specialist. They would be required to know ways cybersecurity apps, data, devices, and people work.
- By the year 2022, the world would transit to a more digital world and human beings would look at machines as the main target being cybercriminals. According to a research, there are more than 3 billion users that make up more than 50 percent of the population of the world in 2017 alone.
These were a few facts about cybersecurity and the supposed threats and opportunities it will likely to bring along to the users and experts who help us use a secured internet connection. To combat these threats and identify opportunities it is necessary that one should frame a cyber-security strategy that ensures that your information is integrated, remains confidential and is easily available and easily retrievable whenever needed.
This is also known as ICA of information and this represents the defense and recovering abilities of a system from fatal incidents that include incidents like hard drive failures or power failures and from more adverse situations. Others incidents that result in problems from factors like script kiddies, hackers or other malicious elements that are equipped with resources that a cause APTs or Advanced Persistent Threats and might end up resulting in something that can negatively affect the overall processes of your organization.
Therefore, there is a need to have Business continuity and disaster recovery plans to ensure the security of applications and the network. Security of information and infrastructure should remain the highest priority of the senior management. The criticality of information in the world of today needs strong and foolproof cyber security controls.
The management should make sure that cybersecurity measures used throughout the organization conform to the security standards and also employees and other elements of the organization understand and are aware of the security measures and standards set by the organization.
When we talk about cybersecurity measures, we are talking about something with a vast spectrum. Here are some core areas that can be taken into consideration when developing a cybersecurity strategy. These measures that can be used to tackle threats and malicious happening throughout the network:
Securing The Computer Hardware And The Infrastructure:
The infrastructure or physical systems are something that users and other people heavily rely on. These include the electric power grid, water purification systems etc. The network has a high chance of getting compromised when your internet is plugged on. Organizations that handle the security of the infrastructure make sure that all loopholes and vulnerable points are secured. Furthermore, it is necessary for members of the organization responsible to review attacks on the critical infrastructure and devise a contingency plan.
Enforcing Network Security Measures:
Network security measures detect and guard the entire spread out of information and devices throughout network against internal and external threats. Machine learning is something that is being widely used by teams to mark and neutralize threats and alerts regarding the unusual traffic that crowds the network.
Securing The Cloud:
This is one of the breaches that occurred ever since organizations have shifted towards cloud technology. This has created more security threats. In this regard, the year 2017 has been a year where there were cloud security breaches and data used to reside in cloud instances that are not adequately configured. Developments in the area of cloud security are taking place and more powerful cloud security tools are being developed so that organizations can get a better security measure to secure their data.
Implementing Application Security Measures:
This has become the weakest point of attack and requires implementing Application Security with secure coding techniques and practices and are often accompanies with penetration testing. A new discipline known as Dev Ops originated where DevOps teams make sure to emphasize more towards a businesses’ security requirements.
In order to make sure that you have a secured network there is a dire need that security protocols are introduced and personnel at all levels and roles should be made aware of cybersecurity measures. Also, make sure that you and all members of the organization are aware of the types of security threats that usually hover the cyberspace. This way we can help create a secure infrastructure and secured working environment.
Christino Albert is writing expert and IT Security Specialist at Spectrum internet. Being an 80s kid, I have witnessed the ultimate upgrade and evolution the world has taken when it comes to technology. I always enjoys while uploading reviews and do research on news of technology. This provided me with the basis to make my future career to be associated with technology. @Twitter