In a world where 67,000 searches are performed on Google every single second, there’s no denying of the fact that the concepts of Search Engine Optimisation and Search Engine Marketing are selling like hot cakes among digital marketers across the globe. Brands trying to attract the attention of the clients by driving maximum website traffic for the coveted Return on Investment consider these strategies crucial for significant reasons.
However, the business houses won’t prosper in the long run if the fundamental differences between the two are unclear. Now that you too are eager to leverage the potential of these killer online marketing strategies, invest some time to figure out the factors associated with SEO VS SEM. This blog has everything you should know.
The Basics of Search Engine Optimization and Search Engine Marketing
Before we move onto the primary context of today’s discussion, it is important for you to know about the basic contextual differences between the concept of Search Engine Optimisation and Search Engine Marketing. I have summed up the basic differences for an interesting read.
Defining Search Engine Marketing
Search Engine Marketing or SEM refers to the functionality of SEO (in the broadest sense of the term). Here are the key components that define this strategy with perfection.
Paid advertisements: The concept of Search Engine Marketing is primarily based on the aspect of paid advertisement. With paid advertising, marketers pay the owner of the ad space for using the platform in order to market brands and products across the globe. There are several categories associated with paid advertisements. To name a few, Pay per Click, Pay per Impression and Display Ads get special mentions.
Research and Position: Search Engine Marketing is a type of digitized marketing strategy which is entirely associated with the researching, submitting and positioning of a website within various search engines. A thoroughly constructed Search Engine Marketing strategy helps businesses achieve maximum visibility, thus, increasing their share of organic or paid traffic referrals.
Defining Search Engine Optimization
Search Engine Optimisation or SEO essentially refers to the broader picture of Search Engine Marketing. Even though SEO is apparently a component of SEM, there are a few key factors that determine the differences between the two. Let us find out.
Off-page SEO: Defining the concept of Search Engine Optimisation, the aspect of Off-page SEO plays a crucial role here. Here are the key aspects associated with this particular SEO model.
- Creation of high quality and naturally back-linked profile
- Coming up with content that can encourage maximum social media sharing
- Working on the aspect of social bookmarking and digitized exposure of business across all leading platforms
On-page SEO: Apart from Off-Page SEO playing a crucial role in the domain of Search Engine Optimisation, On-page optimization of the search engine is equally crucial from all aspects. Let us take a look at its functionalities.
- The inclusion of selective and impact keywords in the title tags, headline tags, alt texts, Meta descriptions and more
- Production of blogs and articles which are composed and optimized with quality
- The perfect On-page SEO task is responsible for cleaning and formatting page URLs, optimizing page load data, incorporation of Google authorship and more.
Now that you have explored the basic differences between the concepts of Search Engine Marketing and Search Engine Marketing, let us delve deeper into the contextual aspect of the topic. Let’s find out how each of these digital marketing tools works.
Search Engine Marketing – How it Works?
Search Engine Marketing (SEM) is basically a descriptor that includes various types of advertising, based on the concept of monetary exchanges. Even though you must be aware of the basic definition of SEM, here is the broader picture:
- SEM suits best for brand recognition as it ensures that your business will always be at the top of the SERP every time someone searches for the particular product or service your brand stands for.
- Search Engine Marketing calls for special knowledge and use of tools like Google Adsense, PopAds, PopCash, and Adsense for Yahoo, Bing and more.
Search Engine Optimization – How it Works?
If SEM refers to the concept of optimising digitised marketing, then SEO or Search Engine Optimisation refers to the process embraced by the marketers to execute the task.
Here is a low down of how it works.
- SEO comes into play while optimizing your website to get unpaid, organic traffic from the search engine results page.
- The aspect of content marketing is considered crucial when it comes to SEO. It is effective both in terms of attracting search engines and assisting your company in establishing a stable connection with potential visitors.
Now that you know about the fundamental and contextual differences between Search Engine Marketing and Search Engine Optimisation, here are a few takeaway points listed for you. Take some time out to get the hang of the same for a quick recap on the move.
Smart SEM hacks for aspiring marketers:
- Choose search engine marketing platforms that meet the requirements of your business
- Start with a relevant selection of keywords. For example, if the primary keyword is “assignment help”, then come up with variations likes “best assignment help”, “cheap assignment help” and the likes to rank better.
- Focus on the technical aspects of landing copy and page design while implementing SEM strategies.
Killer SEO tips for coveted ROI
- Never miss out on linking your content with other relevant websites
- Utilize the potential of “permalink” structures that includes relevant search queries
- Work on the aspect of page load times and eliminate everything that slows down the website speed.
- Keep a check on the size of the images uploaded by your SEO team. High-quality images test the patience of your target audience and increase the bounce rate.
Take note of the differences between the concepts of SEM and SEO and figure out the one that would suit your business model best. Don’t forget to consider the smart hacks for incorporating each of these strategies with precision. Here’s wishing you all the luck with your endeavors.